Batman YTB - Fansite For Batman Comics, Toys, Figures, News and more!

Bookmark and Share

Navigation

Home
Main Menu
Action Figures & Dolls

Login

User Name

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.

View Thread
Batman YTB - Fansite For Batman Comics, Toys, Figures, News and more! | GOTHAM TELEVISION NETWORK | Other DC TV Shows

Print Thread Rate Thread Change to old view

South Park References The Killing Joke in "201" (Added Screen Grabs) - Posted on 27-04-2010 22:50
User Avatar Caleson
Dark Knight

Awards:
None
Webmaster

The 201st episode of the Comedy Central series South Park, which aired April 21, featured a great reference to The Killing Joke. When Cartman is led into a showdown with an old enemy, he finds himself placed on a tormenting roller coaster ride similar to what Commissioner Gordon experienced at the hands of the Joker. The scene doesn’t last too long, but it sure what a fun surprise to me. The carnival theme got my attention, but I didn’t actually think it was a Batman reference until I saw the vibrant pink and yellow lighting and, finally, Cartman being placed on a roller coaster.

If you didn’t record the episode, you may have a hard time finding it. Comedy Central heavily censored “201” and only aired it once, with no plans of airing it again. This is due to its strong religious controversy over the depiction of the Muslim prophet Mohammad. The whole situation is idiotic considering they featured a superhero version of Mohammad in the 2001 episode “Super Best Friends” (a Super Friends parody) to no backlash. But since controversies in 2005 and 2007 that resulted in Muslim extremist rioting and death threats, Comedy Central caved in.

You can read all about “201” on its Wikipedia article HERE, plus see Mohammad as he appeared in “Super Best Friends.” I would also link to BYTB's Killing Joke page, but I can't find it...

UPDATE: Added screen grabs and comic panels for comparison. I just took photos since, well, I didn't want to try scanning a squarebound book.

South Park: "201"

Batman: The Killing Joke

Edited by Caleson on 02-05-2010 14:43
Caleson CALES0N http://calescustoms.batmanytb.com Send Private Message
RE: South Park References The Killing Joke in "201" (Added Screen Grabs) - Posted on 02-05-2010 14:53
User Avatar Caleson
Dark Knight

Awards:
None
Webmaster

UPDATE: For those interested, I took some photos from both the "201" episode and The Killing Joke. Pretty cool to compare the two and notice the mirrored shots.

RE: South Park References The Killing Joke in "201" (Added Screen Grabs) - Posted on 02-05-2010 15:24
User Avatar Razhwurz
Caped Crusader

Awards:
None
Admin

I kinda wish I'd seen this episode, but I think I was watching hockey that night and I didn't realize SP was on lol.

Also, is it just me or is this the EXACT same situation from the Cartoon Wars episode, but for real?

Never start with the head; the victim gets all fuzzy!

R.I.P. Heath
Edited by Razhwurz on 02-05-2010 15:27
RE: South Park References The Killing Joke in "201" (Added Screen Grabs) - Posted on 06-05-2010 13:24
User Avatar Caleson
Dark Knight

Awards:
None
Webmaster

Razhwurz wrote:
I kinda wish I'd seen this episode, but I think I was watching hockey that night and I didn't realize SP was on lol.
I think you can watch it on YouTube. I noticed someone has it broken into three parts. Try this link.

Razhwurz wrote:
Also, is it just me or is this the EXACT same situation from the Cartoon Wars episode, but for real?

Yeah, it's basically the same concept as "Cartoon Wars" but in a way that reflects on the history of the South Park series. Although, it's one of two plots within the episode; the other involves Cartman, which is where the Killing Joke reference comes in. To be honest, I'm skeptical as to whether or not Comedy Central censored it against the will of South Park Studios. To me, it seems as though it were meant to be so heavily censored and that the whole thing could be a publicity stunt. If the network really did censor it against the studios' wishes, they're a bunch of cowards.

RE: South Park References The Killing Joke in "201" (Added Screen Grabs) - Posted on 06-05-2010 14:01
User Avatar Razhwurz
Caped Crusader

Awards:
None
Admin

Caleson wrote:
Razhwurz wrote:
I think you can watch it on YouTube. I noticed someone has it broken into three parts. Try this link.

Razhwurz wrote:

Yeah, it's basically the same concept as "Cartoon Wars" but in a way that reflects on the history of the South Park series. Although, it's one of two plots within the episode; the other involves Cartman, which is where the Killing Joke reference comes in. To be honest, I'm skeptical as to whether or not Comedy Central censored it against the will of South Park Studios. To me, it seems as though it were meant to be so heavily censored and that the whole thing could be a publicity stunt. If the network really did censor it against the studios' wishes, they're a bunch of cowards.

yeah, that's what I've been thinking. But the fact that Comedy Central released an announcement means either it truly was censored, or the channel's in on the publicity stunt

Never start with the head; the victim gets all fuzzy!

R.I.P. Heath
Jump to Forum:
Ratings
Rating is available to Members only.

Please login or register to vote.

No Ratings have been Posted.

About BatmanYTB | Credits & Thanks!

BATMAN: Yesterday, Today, & Beyond, all of it's sub-sites, or hosted sites are in no way associated, or affiliated with DC Comics, Time Warner or any of it's divisions.

Items cataloged in merchandise sections are not for sale. The downloading of video game ROMs is for backup and testing purposes only. If you do not own the actual game, the ROM is to be deleted from your hard drive within 24 hours.

Any money that may be made from Amazon Associates, advertisements, or affiliate programs will be contributed to the maintaining of this website, to provide the fans with the best that we can offer.