Login

User Name

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.

View Thread
Batman YTB - Fansite For Batman Comics, Toys, Figures, News and more! | GOTHAM CITY HALL | Batmobile History Updates & News

Print Thread Rate Thread Change to old view

More Practical- Batmobile or Batwing? - Posted on 20-06-2009 00:00
User Avatar Tartan Jack
Blue Collared Worker

Awards:
Medal 

I was checking Spencer's site and reread this blog (included on his site):
http://daveslongb...-ass.html

It got me thinking . . .

If you were Batman and had a Batmobile that was land-bound, though a racer-for-the-road, AND a Batwing (envisioned more like a small VSTOL plane like in BTAS, rather than a high speed, long range plane) . . .

Which would be the more practical for actually getting to and around Gotham City?
The Car?
The stealth plane that can hover?

Sum Nox!
RE: More Practical- Batmobile or Batwing? - Posted on 20-06-2009 00:12
User Avatar Tartan Jack
Blue Collared Worker

Awards:
Medal 

To me . . .

It seems that the Batwing is a far more practical way to get around a large city.
I mean, why go through traffic, when you can simply go over it.

Plus, when the plane can hover, landing for parking shouldn't be a problem, neither should dropping off Batman or extracting him from the city.
If small and "stealth" designed, it should be able to drop off the radar and signature indicators enough to get in and out of the cave.

Or:
Us the car to get to and from the Batwing, which can then be hangared away from the main cave near home. A tunnel (ala The Batman) or a combo of surface roads and tunnels can allow the plane to be a mile or two away (a long way in a city like Gotham), yet easy to get to for operation.

Heck, a half mile would be enough if close to downtown.

If I was Batman, I'd make heavy use of the Batwing for day-to-day operations and mostly use the car only when needed. Most surface transportation would be in a "sleeper" Batmobile, a normal looking street car that blows the doors off the "Fast and Furious" crowd.

Sum Nox!
RE: More Practical- Batmobile or Batwing? - Posted on 20-06-2009 16:23
User Avatar FlaBat
Dark Knight

Awards:
Medal 
Webmaster

I think the Batmobile from Batman Beyond was the best of both worlds and would work the best.

RE: More Practical- Batmobile or Batwing? - Posted on 21-06-2009 01:18
User Avatar boywonder93
Gotham Civilian

Awards:
None

I know this isn't included but in this thread but IMO the bat cycle would actually be better, a motorcylcle is very manueverable. He could go down alleys and weave in and out of traffic if neccesary... The reason I think the plane is not pratical is because you could trace a plane back to someone way easier than a modified car or a small crotch rocket...

Cody
Lfanmangator FinkaMinka93 Send Private Message
RE: More Practical- Batmobile or Batwing? - Posted on 21-06-2009 09:17
User Avatar FlaBat
Dark Knight

Awards:
Medal 
Webmaster

That’s a good point, but a Batcycle offers very little protection to Batman. While a flying Batmobile with stealth technology could disappear from Radar easily enough.

RE: More Practical- Batmobile or Batwing? - Posted on 21-06-2009 09:48
User Avatar Chris
Dark Knight

Awards:
Medal 
Webmaster

FlaBat wrote:
I think the Batmobile from Batman Beyond was the best of both worlds and would work the best.

I think that's what they are trying to do with the new Batmobile in Batman & Robin. The problem is, it's ugly and imo doesn't fit well with Batman. But still, I agree something like that would be much better to use.

BYTBBeyond beyondgotham@hotmail.com BYTB_Beyond www.batmanytb.com Send Private Message
RE: More Practical- Batmobile or Batwing? - Posted on 21-06-2009 21:16
User Avatar FlaBat
Dark Knight

Awards:
Medal 
Webmaster

Except that a flying Batmobile in Batman Beyond works as there were other flying vehicles in the future too. This new Batmobile flying is it the only thing flying in Gotham?

RE: More Practical- Batmobile or Batwing? - Posted on 21-06-2009 21:34
User Avatar Chris
Dark Knight

Awards:
Medal 
Webmaster

That's really what I meant. I like the idea, but it's all wrong for Batman today.

BYTBBeyond beyondgotham@hotmail.com BYTB_Beyond www.batmanytb.com Send Private Message
RE: More Practical- Batmobile or Batwing? - Posted on 22-06-2009 14:17
User Avatar Razhwurz
Caped Crusader

Awards:
None
Admin

Realistically speaking, the Batmobile is more practical than the stealth plane. For one thing, the word "stealth" is relative. It doesn't matter what gear you have, if you're flying low you're flying an airplane about 100 ft from skyscrapers. You'll be noticed. The other thing of course is that all it would take is one guy who got his hands on an AA launcher to kill you.

With the Batmobile you can stick to backroads, use buildings for cover and keep hidden. With a plane you're basically one giant bullseye flying around.

Of course these are comic books, so where obviously not talking exclusivly about realistic planes, but I believe mos writers go by this logic given the use of the Batmobile on a regular basis, and the very rare use of a jet/plane.

Never start with the head; the victim gets all fuzzy!

R.I.P. Heath
RE: More Practical- Batmobile or Batwing? - Posted on 22-06-2009 20:07
User Avatar boywonder93
Gotham Civilian

Awards:
None

Flabat- Yes the bat cycle is not protective to batman batman but if they did a batpod where there is sheaths covering his arms and sides then it would would work also batman could get a kevlar plated motorcycle helmet that would pretty much protect his whole body but that's just an idea. lol

Cody
RE: More Practical- Batmobile or Batwing? - Posted on 23-06-2009 01:59
User Avatar The Red-Blue Blur
W. Indust. Employee

Awards:
None

Batwing... What if something goes wrong? Bird flies into the engine... lol. It's that easy. It would crash right there on Gotham City and kill a lot of people..... The Batmobile could be stolen by a villain/criminal... Crash... The Batwing would do more damage...

My list of Batmobiles just to post for the heck of it...
Tumbler
Batmobile V2 from The Batman
Batmobile from Brave and the Bold

"Things are always going to get worst before they get better."

[Alfred Pennyworth]

http://timothymably.deviantart.com Send Private Message
RE: More Practical- Batmobile or Batwing? - Posted on 25-06-2009 00:04
User Avatar TheDarkTAysOn
Arkham Inmate

Awards:
None

I think flying a plane would just get obnoxous to land because you could never land very close to where you want to go, and also, it takes longer to start a plane up than it does a car. I mean, in some cases, sure, if he needs to get to the opposite end of town, it might be practical to use a plane, but I dont imagine that happens very often. Id say the most practical thing is the batmobile.

I'd have to say the coolest batmobile is the one from Batman TAS, followed by The Tumbler. But thats just me
RE: More Practical- Batmobile or Batwing? - Posted on 25-06-2009 13:21
User Avatar boywonder93
Gotham Civilian

Awards:
None

Well I still say the motorcycle lol... Anyway... My favorite batmobiles are
1. Tumbler
2. Tas batmobile
3. Batman Beyond

Cody
RE: More Practical- Batmobile or Batwing? - Posted on 25-06-2009 19:18
User Avatar The Red-Blue Blur
W. Indust. Employee

Awards:
None

We forgot about the Batpod!

"Things are always going to get worst before they get better."

[Alfred Pennyworth]

http://timothymably.deviantart.com Send Private Message
RE: More Practical- Batmobile or Batwing? - Posted on 25-06-2009 22:54
User Avatar Tartan Jack
Blue Collared Worker

Awards:
Medal 

You know, a great BatBike/Batcycle would be great for actually getting around a large city. It is small enough to slip through traffic well enough (if driven "kamikaze-style"wink, be easy enough to hid in an alley, and could "disappear" easy enough for the trip home.

The danger of a crashing Batwing is something I hadn't considered. Though, (visions of the news choppers) it would be practical enough, if used like in BTAS and the sequel series (smart autopilot and semi-autonomous controls allowing Batman to "jump out" and be picked up w/o having to actually land. It just as easy to work into a nice chase scene . . .

Sum Nox!
RE: More Practical- Batmobile or Batwing? - Posted on 26-06-2009 11:19
User Avatar Razhwurz
Caped Crusader

Awards:
None
Admin

Tartan Jack wrote:
The danger of a crashing Batwing is something I hadn't considered. Though, (visions of the news choppers) it would be practical enough, if used like in BTAS and the sequel series (smart autopilot and semi-autonomous controls allowing Batman to "jump out" and be picked up w/o having to actually land. It just as easy to work into a nice chase scene . . .

But Batman is all about stealth, man. I mean, when do you NOT see news choppers? If you want to go somewhere unnoticed, I doubt your first thought would be "I'll fly a plane low over the most populated city in the country and land on a rooftop."

Never start with the head; the victim gets all fuzzy!

R.I.P. Heath
RE: More Practical- Batmobile or Batwing? - Posted on 27-06-2009 23:34
User Avatar Tartan Jack
Blue Collared Worker

Awards:
Medal 

Oh course, in ANY large city, how many people actually look UP? Ever?
So, how many would even notice a Batwing . . .
How much traffic would a Batmobile have to deal with getting around the city?
Does Batman have to abide by parking laws?
What weapons would a Batcycle/Batbike/Batpod have to face, thus would it be strong enough?
In these days of GPS, satellite surveillance Couldn't they ALL be traced back to the cave?
How would the PEOPLE of Gotham react around ANY of them?

-Keep in mind the issues in the linked article in post 1 . . .

HAHAHAHAHAHA yes

I guess which would be a more practical one largely depends on the level of reality one allows into a vision of Gotham and Batman's world.
Ultimately, they ALL have serious flaws for real-world use.

For that matter, wouldn't BATMAN have serious feasibility issues in real-life . . . ?

I still think a Batwing would be cool, if used right. (Realistic or not)
As much as I LOVE Batmobiles, I WANT to see them used, heavily, in the comicbooks! DAMN the real-world problems! (To paraphrase David Farragut.)

Sum Nox!
RE: More Practical- Batmobile or Batwing? - Posted on 04-07-2009 08:34
User Avatar spencer1984
Dark Knight

Awards:
Medal 
Webmaster

Much as I've always preferred cars over other forms of transportation, I have to say that I agree with boywonder93 - a bike would be the best way of getting around a large city in a hurry.

Barring that, I think the Batmobile is more practical than the Batwing - if for no other reason than it'll be a heck of a lot easier to get back into after he's subdued a thug and needs to resume patrol. The car is also better suited for use as a weapon or when extra cover is needed, and can be used as an ambulance/riot control vehicle/battering ram (all vehicles that are often needed in Gotham).

The complete history of the Batmobile: BatmobileHistory.com
Scale models of Batmobiles & more: spencer1984.com
http://www.batmobilehistory.com Send Private Message
RE: More Practical- Batmobile or Batwing? - Posted on 16-09-2009 13:18
User Avatar Buckeye Bat
Blue Collared Worker

Awards:
None

I think they should do with the Batmobile and Batwing like what they did in B:TBATB in the episode when Batman went to visit Aquaman in Atlantis with the Batboat that turns into a submarine....I think The Batmobile is good for Gotham City but when he needs to travel out of the city instead of having a separate vehicle have the Batmobile change into a Batwing

'It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me'-BATMAN (Batman Begins)batman
Jump to Forum:
Ratings
Rating is available to Members only.

Please login or register to vote.

No Ratings have been Posted.

About BatmanYTB | Credits & Thanks!

BATMAN: Yesterday, Today, & Beyond, all of it's sub-sites, or hosted sites are in no way associated, or affiliated with DC Comics, Time Warner or any of it's divisions.

Items cataloged in merchandise sections are not for sale. The downloading of video game ROMs is for backup and testing purposes only. If you do not own the actual game, the ROM is to be deleted from your hard drive within 24 hours.

Any money that may be made from Amazon Associates, advertisements, or affiliate programs will be contributed to the maintaining of this website, to provide the fans with the best that we can offer.